A DIY instructional/information how to video on planting a hedge garden and general hedge information. Appears on www.gardeningcentral.com.au Editing, motion design & post production by Toast Design – www.toastdesign.com.au
Video Rating: 5 / 5
Planting vegetable gardens is a very rewarding hobby. Not only is it good for you, because of all the exercise needed to complete the task, but also because of all the vegetables that you’ll enjoy. In order for your vegetables to be pesticide free, it’s important that you plant them yourself. You can grow them anywhere, whether in the midst of a city, or in a more rural setting. But in order to be successful, you need to get the basics of planting correct, as listed in these vegetable gardens tips.
Number one of our vegetable gardens tips, is that the new gardener needs to learn the importance of soil preparation. This step plays a vital role in whether your vegetable garden will be productive or not, regardless of if you plant in garden boxes or use a part of your backyard. You need to understand that there are three types of soil; sand, clay and silt. Sandy soil is very loose, allowing the plant roots to breathe, as it lets the air easily pass through. Clay soil soaks up water quicker and retains it longer. This makes it perfect for places that receive a lot of sunlight, and are generally hot areas, where the soil dries up quickly. The last type of soil is silt, which is a fine combination of clay and sand particles.
The preparation of soil for your garden is the most important of vegetable garden tips, because it is the foundation of good gardening. The first step is to break up the clumps as you dig up the soil. Be sure and remove any weeds, roots, and rocks you find in this part of the process. Handle the soil to see if you have a good mixture of clay, sand, and silt, before you begin placing vegetable plants in your garden. An even mixture of sand and silt should make up 80% of the soil, while the remaining 20% should be clay. This mixture is to make certain that the roots will not choke or rot, because too much water is being trapped for too long inside the soil. The best way to test whether you have the right composition of soil is to scoop up a handful and form it into a ball. If the soil is able to hold its shape, then you have the right combination. However, if the soil cannot hold its shape, then you probably have too much sand or silt in the mixture. On the other hand, if the soil holds its shape so well that it doesn’t want to crumble when probed, then you need to balance out the clay with sand and silt.
Choose Your Vegetables
While it s OK to choose what kind of vegetables you want to plant ahead of time, plants shouldn’t be purchased until soil preparation is finished. This keeps them from drying out, or becoming root-bound in their small nursery containers, while they wait to be planted. Once soil cultivation is finished, however, its time to choose, purchase, and plant your new vegetables. Another of our vegetable gardens tips is that its important to know that some vegetables don’t grow well, when you place them too close to certain types of other vegetables. For instance, tomatoes and/or squash tend to inhibit the growth of potatoes, if they are planted too close to one another. Be sure and ask your local garden nursery which vegetable plants do well together, and which ones should be kept separate.
Proper Watering Is Crucial
Once you have chosen your vegetables and have planted them in your cultivated soil, proper watering is the next of our vegetable gardens tips. Consistent watering is the name of the game when it comes to vegetables. Soaker hoses are an excellent choice when watering vegetables in a medium to large space. An automatic watering timer is another wise investment if your schedule tends to keep you from watering consistently.
A little patience goes a long way when planting vegetable gardens. Research, experimentation, and experience will help you find the right type of soil for the right type of vegetables, that work best for you. Planting your own garden, watching it grow, and harvesting the produce is very fulfilling. And enjoying fresh vegetables with friends and family, that you grew in your own garden, is a joy. All the hard work will be worth it if you follow these vegetable gardens tips.
Adam Faston is an organic gardening enthusiast and a lover of the
great outdoors! He runs a website offering Gardening Help on a
variety of different gardening and landscape related topics at:
Article from articlesbase.com